3DjOB Board
Post A Job Follow us on Twitter Join our Network on Linked In

Job Seekers Resources

> Freelancer's Manifesto - A Collection of advices (Page 1 of 4)

Freelancer's Manifesto - A Collection of advices (Page 1 of 4)

Date Posted May 19, 2007  Default   Viewed 4789 Times       ID 257
Roman  - 3D Jobs Admin
Freelancer's Manifesto - A Collection of advices (Page 1 of 4)
By: Anselm v. Seherr - Thoß, Germany
Web: www.3delicious.de

This text is neither really an article nor a tutorial. It´s more a kind of collection of advices and guidelines but may be informative for young artists planning on starting a freelancer career and need to get going.

At the Pulse of the Industry

I can say personally that I spend the first hour at work with checking business mails and forums. I simply take that hour where I don´t work (if we aren´t in the last two weeks of a project where everyone works 24/7…) because it is very important for me to know what´s going on in the industry. Maybe I asked something very important in a thread the day before and simply have to check if someone found a workaround in the meantime. Nice side effect about being present in forums etc. is that people see you and read your stuff. If you don´t post total crap people happen to recognize that you know what you´re talking about. That is an expertise which can build your reputation partly

Furthermore I have to be up2date because if I don´t know what versions of my tools, which are my “weapons”, are the latest might miss an update. I can´t afford missing a bug fix

I read CGTalk, ORBAZ.com, CGFluids, CGArena, 3DTotal, Evermotion & CG Channel daily and have subscriptions to more than 50 threads in most of the forums…that takes it´s time for sure but the effort is worth it - believe me!

Be a Team player

Be a strong team player! There´s no space for egomaniacs in a tight production schedule trust me! Know who you are and what are able to do, have an ego don´t get me wrong only artist´s with a strong personality match for the biz. But put that ego thing behind the team. Divide the work into equal chunks then distribute each part to the artist with the biggest expertise on that topic. A well-rehearsed and pro-team could do that independent from a project manager or HR guy who assembled the team.

Share your secrets or at least a few (check the next part for that). The learning curve in a group is exponential so tell each other your 101s and workarounds. Don't hide your sources. If you give you will get.

If you give you will get

Be of high value to the community. If you know something better than most of the others or at least you think you do then write a tutorial on that topic. A good tutorial is of high value for both sides! The community or your colleagues learn something new and therefore they increase their value. On the other side you higher your own value because there´s not much else to display your expertise on a certain topic then proving that in an advanced tutorial. Furthermore you can higher your degree of popularity because you get credited You won’t get involved into nice projects even if you’re a kick *** artist if nobody knows what´s you do and who you are. As a freelancer you need expertise and neat references that´s why I write tutorials on CGArena from time to time.

To flavor my showreel, gallery, website etc. with some expertise on certain topics in the end its business!

Codex?

I personally wouldn´t say there´s a codex or something that applies for CG freelancers. But that doesn´t mean their shouldn´t be some guidelines how to treat each other…at least online we have an etiquette.

A real life example of noble behavior: When a company calls me for an assignment but I´m not available be it because I already have one or I don´t want to I always try to find a qualified colleagues who could jump in instead of me. This has two effects: A good reputation because you got the company a new freelancer in time to finish their project or whatever AND the freelancer you recommended owes you one in ideal he owes you a freelance assignment he was asked for but couldn’t take it in return. Companies even ask me if I would know some freelancers I could recommend. I turned into a veeery small freelancer agency partly that is okay for me. It displays that those companies trust in me that I know suitable freelancers I could recommend for their enterprise. Build trust and the companies will call you more than twice!

Stay in shape, take your time outs!

Unless you want to look like a villain in a batman movie after a few months you definitely should try to stay in shape. You should attract the ladies/Guys and not your boss for staying at work all night

If you don´t you will turn from a womanizer into a fat mesh-zombie like displayed below:

And believe me the way back is harder than the way to complete needless! I went both…

Go to the gym, go jogging, at least do something not involving polys and keep in touch with your “real world friends”. Because your “real world friends” will redirect you when things go rough. And things will go rough from time to time. That´s how life goes…

Concerning your time outs that means days WITHOUT and AWAY from your 3d-package and the screen! I took some days off last year creating my showreel and stuff but those days were no time out days. No holidays. Even your private projects belong to the business because they might help you selling. Have your days away from the “game” because those days will help you finding new strength.

Continued on Page 2

© 2018 3D jobs